Your Interior Design Source for

Your Interior Design Source for
FINE LIVING LIFESTYLES

Monday, May 17, 2010

Designing for the Stars

So I can't help but wonder what it takes to be heard? Seen? Exposed? I understand word of mouth is powerful, but what if that word is stingy? selfish? possessive? Somehow I have this amazing, phenomenal clientele who never wants to share J.B.I.A., LLC with anybody! I have never in my life duplicated a design, and when they toured homes before signing with me they have seen how successfully I've mastered so many different styles. Yet when the time comes to ask, " Now here's what you can do for me" they go balistic?! I can't help but laugh to myself, does this mean J.B.I.A., LLC will never be in the likes of Architectural Digest or Elle Decor?

You bet not! One thing remains a constant in the design magazines... super stars! They love the attention, not all but many, and some anonymously. Hence, my question to you today is, "How does one meet a star?" Would you believe I have plenty of contacts that know stars, but none to make the introduction. I am established, I am original, I am the best out there (this could come across as conceded but it is only the truth, besides at this point in the game, I think this is simply an online journal to me) and yet I can not get an introduction. My initial philosophy worked like this:

I am young, and that puts me at a unique advantage. I was introduced to High End Residential Homes at the age of 24. After three years of my "Devil Wears Prada" style slavery, I branched out on my own with plenty of clients to go with me (total ego booster). Let me tell you how uncomfortable sales reps feel when their clients (other older designers) are asking me for assistance in the showrooms assuming I am an intern, lol!

At my young age, although this is six years later, not so young anymore but in comparison not remorsely old enough to be up and up with them, I feel I am in tune with what's hip, what's hop and what's a flop for fashion, design, music, the whole gammit. I have the exposure they do with the knowledge they lack. You see, many of these designers in their late forty's and fifty's are actually not that much more experienced than myself. They played their wifey role, mother role, formerly a CPA role, whatever may have you and then decided it was time to become a designer. Not all, but a lot of designers just started.... but they appear to have "the older the wiser" aura and that puts me out of the game.

Can I pray in any different way, "Dear God, please make these young artists, athletes and trustfund babies understand that I am no different from these other designers, aside from my unbelievably, far more talented skill, I am actually more in tune with them than any of these phony baby boomers." Gee, I still can't figure out why He's not answering my prayers.

Words of Advise Anyone????? Is someone out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment