Your Interior Design Source for

Your Interior Design Source for
FINE LIVING LIFESTYLES

Friday, May 21, 2010

Great Expectations

Today's topic is all about reality. Reality, it is something that some people have a hard time grasping and coming to terms (at times myself included in other situations). How does the great classic quote run? "Champagne taste with a beer budget." I always disliked this saying but with the given economic conditions, find that it continually squirms its way into my projects. There is a moment, an "a-ha" moment, when one must come to terms with desirability vs. affordability. Then affordability vs. desirability. You see at the initial interview I get the scope of a project, including the budget. I am pretty upfront. If I tell you I do not foresee a project coming to fruition at the budget you've quoted me, you can tell me you are not interested. My feelings are not hurt. But instead, you want to pursue it, and pursue it until the rock bleeds, which will never happen, and then you are hurt and full of disappointment. Reality is: I have been designing for 10 years now and can tell you what is and is not possible pretty quickly. The fact of the matter is that my mind is really not going to change, but rather your reality must.

Short and Sweet today!

No comments:

Post a Comment